Skip to Content
Scan the QR code using the NZ COVID Tracer app when you enter campus.
1. A person under the age of 20 years who does not meet the University Entrance standard may apply for discretionary entrance if they:
(a) are a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand or Australia;*
(b) are at least 16 years of age and under 20 on the first day of the semester in which they wish to study, and
(c) have not otherwise qualified for admission
*Australian applicants' most recent year of schooling must have been in New Zealand.
2. Discretionary Entrance applicants are expected to have a very good academic record. The normal criteria for consideration for Discretionary Entrance are:
(a) has received secondary schooling to at least New Zealand Year 12 level (or its equivalent overseas); and
(b) has achieved a minimum of 72 credits at NCEA Level 2 including 14 credits in each of four subjects (three of which must be approved subjects) with a majority of credits at Merit or Excellence; and
(c) has met the literacy and numeracy standards required for University Entrance, or their equivalents.
3. Discretionary Entrance is granted to a nominated under-graduate qualification.
4. Persons who attempt to qualify for University Entrance in Year 13, but who fail to do so, may be considered for mid-year admission in the year following their NCEA assessment in universities where this is permitted. Admission will be at the discretion of the university concerned.
5. A person studying at a New Zealand secondary school, who is attempting to qualify for entrance to university, may apply for Discretionary Entrance in the same year for the purpose of enrolling in courses offered in a Summer School by a university. Any person admitted under this Regulation who does not, in the following January, meet the University Entrance standard will be required to withdraw from the university and may re-apply for admission at mid-year. Students required to withdraw may complete their Summer School programme before doing so, but any courses passed will not be credited to a qualification until a University Entrance qualification is gained.
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 08 October 2019